Start early – especially if it’s your first time. Once you get the hang of it, procrastinating won’t matter as much, but it’s so much less stressful at first if you don’t add a time crunch to your learning curve.
Short on time?
- Start with your big ticket items and toys. They sell well, take less prep, and take up more space @ home! Make sure they are clean!
- Our lighting is great, but harsh! Don’t waste time on clothes and shoes whose quality won’t pass inspection.
- Supplies you will need:
- wire hangers (plastic are not accepted),
- cardstock paper,
- safety pins,
- packing tape,
- Ziploc bags (assorted sizes)
- ribbon or cable ties to keep shoes together or baggies of small parts to the primary piece of a toy.
- Ready to get started but don’t have supplies? Check out our “Grow With Us” Consignor Starter Kit. It includes all the items you need to get you started tagging & making money!
- Cheap sources: Dollar stores for batteries, ribbon, zip ties, lint rollers. Big Lots or sales @ craft stores for cardstock. Dry cleaners and estate sales for wire hangers. (We have supplies cheap too – best prices on GOOD saftey pins and hangers!)
- We recommend 25-30% of retail
- Those with great prices make more money! The shoppers BUY the cheaper items – you can’t make money if your items won’t sell.
- Consider discounting your items to increase the chances of selling them! Discount days are BUSY at the sale. Some shoppers will ignore tags without the asterisk on discount days. Even if your prices are competitive, you will miss out on sales to these shoppers if you choose not to discount your items. Ideally, your prices will be great to begin with and they won’t still be there on discount days!
- On infant sizes – 3T: Sets tend to sell better than separates, if possible match up your separates, or group like items (multiple onesies or sleepers sell best). Plus, you use up less hangers!
- Increase your Good Karma by donating items you would be disappointed to see again.
- Not sure how to price your items? Check out our Pricing Guide for tips! More info here.
Prep Your Items Correctly:
- Only Fall and Winter clothing will be accepted. Exceptions: PJ sets that have a mix of short sleeve and long bottoms, capris, lightweight jackets, and other transitional styles. Short sleeve shirts are ok, unless a very summery theme.
- If using a tagging gun, PLEASE insert needle into a seam to avoid holes.
- If hanging more than one thing on a hanger, make sure to pin all items to the hanger, not to the other clothes pieces only. See how to hang items on our Tagging Your Items page.
- BETTER PRESENTATION = BETTER SALES!
- Close buttons, snap snaps and zip zippers. Snip loose threads. Mend or repair any loose hems, buttons, etc. Pet hair is a real tur off for shoppers! Lint rollers to the rescue!
- For wrinkles: Iron, wrinkle release spray, or a quick flip in the dryer with a damp towel & a dryer sheet will take out the wrinkles and make them smell fresh.
- Make sure all furniture, equipment & toys are clean and in working order (a little soap & water goes a long way). Magic Eraser works great on scuff marks.
- Whitening toothpaste is great for shoe “rubber’.
- Print a picture of assembled items that are in boxes or bags. Take your own picture or print from internet.
- High end/expensive items – include the retail price on the tag if you have room (ex: “retails for ___” or “MSRP $___”). Let the shopper know what a deal they are getting!
- Do not use tape, staples or straight pins on clothing.
- Don’t over-tape the tag. We need to be able to remove it during check-out.
- For more information on preparing your sale items, visit our Pricing and Tagging pages.
- It is very important to make all your items secure. Make sure items will stay on hangers securely (no wimpy pins!), that bags and boxes are taped shut, and that items with many parts are taped or zip-tied together well. Toys will get handled by our smallest shoppers! They will open the bags if not secured properly.
- Important: Place masking tape with your consignor number, the item number and price on the bottom or underneath side of each large item and on items that contain more than one piece. This will eliminate confusion if a tag is accidentally removed or pieces get separated
Please note that Here We Grow Again is not responsible for lost or stolen items.